I need a hero

PortalHomeSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inChat
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

Share | 

An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarthNemis
Cyber Terrorist
Cyber Terrorist

PostSubject: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:28 am

attempting to fix the link : http://www.gamefront.com/hands-on-with-star-wars-the-old-republic-player-vs-player/comment-page-1/#comment-144449
Ok fixed.

And then they got raped by the community after talking about their experience with the whole being raped. Oh man

(Phil actually did a good "preview" though)
(obviously no actual rape happened)http://www.gamefront.com/hands-on-with-star-wars-the-old-republic-player-vs-player/comment-page-1/#comment-144449

I'm being told the link still doesn't work. It works for me. Strange : /
just going to post the article.

Quote :

I’m not much of a massively multiplayer person — my last full-on bout with the world of time-sink online games was Final Fantasy XI, which eventually annoyed me because it felt like I was doing a job I wasn’t getting paid for. But if there’s an MMO I’ll come out for, it’s a Star Wars game built with the same mindset as Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

With that said, I look optimistically toward Star Wars: The Old Republic, even with some of Game Front’s staff being a little less enthusiastic after having a chance to mess around with it. Although, as someone who doesn’t spend a lot of time with MMOs, I’m approaching from a specific, somewhat unique angle: a guy who sees much of SWTOR’s elements without the lens of World of WarCraft against which to prejudge.

It was with such a mindset that I sat down with the player vs. player with fellow Fronters Ross Lincoln and Jordon Justice, donning the colors of the Sith Empire to take on a group of other Comic-Con attendees. The PC I sat down in front of put me in the role of an Imperial Agent specialized as a Sniper. That gave me some long-range capabilities, thermal detonator grenades and a defensive ability to throw down a cover position wherever I was standing.

Our mission was to capture three command points on the given map, aligned in a straight line through its center. At opposite ends were two cruisers, one from each side, from which new players were deployed. The plan was to capture the command points — having all three would allow one team to shoot down the other’s cruiser and win the game.

To get down to the planet’s surface below, we had to jump on speederbikes. The speederbike ride was preprogrammed, dropping each of us in a different spot on the surface but in the same general area, after which we all ran like crazies toward the three command posts — one in front of us, one to either side. Just standing near a command post was enough to capture it, but we’d need to clear out the Republic Jedi to have any effect.

My first venture into the game got me lost, outside of the structures I was trying to attack, and after a while I ran across a lone Jedi. Even with my range advantage, I was pretty helpless: the Jedi closed the gap on me and started slicing away. I tried to run, only to continue to get pummeled. I did a little damage, but it wasn’t long before I was struck down.

In fact, my first…oh, five lives went this way. Deploy, attack the command post, get sliced up by Jedi. It turns out that Imperial Agents, and Snipers in particular, are useless on their own and in any kind of close-range combat situation. I had a melee attack that I couldn’t seem to do much with and not a lot of other options. Unfortunately, my primary function was to hide behind stronger teammates, so I had to time my deployments to make sure there were lots of other characters to keep the enemy busy. This likely sounds elementary to most, but it took some effort to learn the movements of my team and I found it a little frustrating to realize I had few options for defending myself if someone happened to sneak up behind me.

At range, though, the Sniper was pretty damn effective, especially against troublesome heavy targets. The Republic had one Trooper specialized as a Commando, who was basically running around with a minigun that ate up Sith who weren’t actively cutting him apart. He was especially irritating, but once I’d found some high ground — up a ramp just to the left of the center control point, which looked down on the choke point through which the Republic troops were forced to pass to reach the center — I was able to inflict some serious damage. Firing heavy shots against enemies engaging Sith dropped them all the quicker; it took a minute or two, but soon the Sith Empire was functioning as more of a unit, and winning victories for the effort.

While we lost the overall match, the “hide-and-shoot” strategy I employed as the sniper secured me the rank of third by the end with something like 16 kills. It wasn’t exactly my style to stay hidden and take pot shots, but it was interesting to find that even a minimal amount of teamwork on my part with other characters turned us into a formidable force. And the game took on quite a bit more fun once I discovered that staying away from Jedi is the best way to play the game.

The moral of my story, it seems, would be to not play SWTOR’s PvP mode unless you’ve got some friends to bring with you. Smart, lightsaber-wielding friends, preferably.

Jordon’s opinion

I came at Star Wars: The Old Republic from a somewhat similar position as Phil – I don’t really play MMO’s, but I have a love for Star Wars that I’d be willing to build a new virtual life for. So, like Phil, I don’t have the tropes and standards of World of Warcraft in my mind, pre-aligning what is considered “standard” in a game such as this.

Pushing this even further, in fact, is my time spent with the new contender T.E.R.A. This action-heavy, full-control MMO taught me to believe that no structure of previous MMORPG’s should be considered sacred and all facets are up for improvement through redesign. Which is why I walked away from SWTOR’s PvP with no other word but bleh leaving my lips.

Staying next to my fellow writers, I too found myself sitting at a computer readied with an Imperial Agent. I, however, was specialized as an Operative. My character was able to drop down cover and detonate thermal charges when caught in a fire-fight, but preferred to sneak invisibly around the map, executing hidden stabs on enemies and secret health boosts to allies.

It took only a single stand-off for me to realize I had absolutely no chance against a Jedi and even less against any other two classes working together. When it comes to combat, I couldn’t let them see my face. While this isn’t usually how I would choose to play a game, I was okay with the clear disadvantage so long as I made up for it in another way.

But I didn’t. Even when I activated my cloak, moved at a snail’s pace across the entire map, positioned myself behind a lone guard, and executed an assassination technique – only a fraction of the enemy’s health was chipped. This gave them ample opportunity to not only turn around and dispatch me on their own, but also call for (and receive) backup just in case. Admittedly, this was made extra frustrating by the fact that all “headset” commands were issued just behind me in the same real-world room. I got to hear my discovery, conquest, and celebration just feet away.

So the Imperial Agent is a support class. But why? What reason is there for me to have no chance of standing on my own? Especially for a game developed by a Western developer, for a Western audience, the ability to solo – or at least have a chance – is paramount. How many people watch Star Wars and say, “You know, being Han or Luke would be alright, but I really wish I could stand behind one of them and provide covering fire while they do all the cool stuff?” The answer is none.

And I get it, we’ve had healers and supporters since the dawn of MMORPG’s so no veterans are going to have a problem with it. But again, why is that okay? To bring up T.E.R.A. again – a Korean MMO may I remind you – the understanding of the Western market is forefront to the development changes being made for the game’s U.S. release. Every class in T.E.R.A. has both the prowess to solo, and the ability to support a dynamic party. That means a healer can buff, benefit, and bring back a squad to their heart’s content, but they can also bash, beat, and burn any enemy that crosses their lone adventure. That is what I want from Star Wars.

So really my contention with Star Wars: The Old Republic lies with my dissident expectations of what kind of game it should be. It’s a completely personal and selfish issue that would be difficult to correct for without a major overhaul of the system. Yet, I don’t feel unreasonable in wanting SWTOR to be something so different than what it is. Because to me it’s something from our past, and no matter when the stories take place, Star Wars has always been about looking to the future.

Ross’ opinion

My take is going to be somewhat shorter than Jordon’s and Phil’s were. In a word, I hated the experience of playing The Old Republic.

To be fair, my frustration was probably frontloaded. The style in which new characters are popped into play – basically dropped in without heed to where the fight is actually taking place – wasted tremendous time. I felt like I spent the majority of the demo wandering around the arena trying to find people.

With that out of the way, Jordon’s point runs closest to my own – if you choose a support class, you are basically screwed unless you have the best team-coordination possible. Unfortunately, the headsets we were provided with didn’t work, we were completely inexperienced at the game and we all somehow chose support classes. I was a Sith Inquisitor. The Sith inquisitor welds a double-bladed lightsaber like Darth Maul. How on earth is that a support anything? If a character has the most awesome looking weapon in the entire Star Wars universe, and you’re not kicking ass just by looking at someone, they’re doing it wrong.

By which I mean to say that I died ridiculously easy. A blaster here, a light saber there, I found myself back at the spawning room with ridiculous frequency. This was of course partly my fault – I had significant problems getting the hang of the commands and never quite figured out how to use my weapon consistently. But even when I did, they were surprisingly ineffective. I blame the control scheme itself, which seems designed to maximize complexity rather than make it actually intuitive. How is it that BioWare can absolutely nail the PC controls for Dragon Age and Mass Effect but screw this up so badly?

But even that is a minor complaint. I really don’t play a lot of games like TOR. (When it comes to MMOs, I really enjoy strict combat FPS type games to, well, this.) So what I was looking forward to is something Star Wars-y. And TOR just didn’t feel like Star Wars. Sure, it had John Williams’ music blasting into your ears, and all the right sound effects was added. The light sabers were there as were the hoverbikes. But the generic looking arena could have come from any sci-fi game and the aimless combat did nothing but make the setting feel small, petty even.

To be fair, I was already sensing a disturbance in the Force with this game when I saw the E3 trailer and it featured a Smuggler who looked like Stevie Ray Vaughn. I honestly do not understand where professional sci-fi creators get their lame ideas from, but cowboy hats, leather trench coats and names like “Dash Rendar” are stupid. Fortunately, I didn’t notice any of that nonsense during the demo, but having a picture of the stupid White Blues Guitarist Smuggler in the back of my mind put me in a mood to dislike. After playing, the whole thing just feels like yet another pointless expansion tacked onto an already bloated Star Wars universe.

I doubt I’m going to have a second look at The Old Republic unless, once it comes out, my GameFront colleagues insist to the stars that it is the greatest thing ever. Life is too short to waste time flogging an already dead horse into atoms.

Editor’s Note: We’ve edited the erroneous Bounty Hunter cite to properly reflect the correct name name of the Republic class: Smuggler.

Last edited by DarthNemis on Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:28 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:35 am

*sees topic title*

I'm not clicking that.

*curiosity hits*

I'm clicking that.

Vaseline
Queen of the OT Wasteland

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:00 am

Link doesn't work for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spankster
OT Crime Lord

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:25 am

My cat got raped by a flea once.

He's never been the same. Dude...

Warlord

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:18 am

Spanky wrote:

How would it know I wonder...

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
DarthNemis
Cyber Terrorist
Cyber Terrorist

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:22 am

Vaseline wrote:
Link doesn't work for me.

try it now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GSG
Aqua Panther

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:23 am

I got raped by my left hand once
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Spankster
OT Crime Lord

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:34 am

Scott wrote:
Spanky wrote:

How would it know I wonder...

It kept taunting him over and over! Auh

Cyber Terrorist
Cyber Terrorist

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:33 pm

K i posted the article since the link doesn't seem to work for people. It works for me. Not sure whats wrong.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.    Today at 2:04 pm

Back to top Go down

An article about how these 3 dudes got raped.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1