I need a hero

PortalHomeSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inChat
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

Share | 

SOPA!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:12 am

Say no to SOPA!

What's SOPA?
Well, Cynical Brit puts it in a really neat way:

OT'er

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 am

Well look on the bright side, the white house doesn't approve SOPA, Notch from Minecraft said to the users to pirate the game as a sign of protest, Ed Boon and WB Games might leave ESA and Wikipedia is blacked out, SOPA and PIPA might go to the shelves.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott
Warlord

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:38 am

*See's 21 minute long youtube video.*

*Walks back out of thread.*

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:48 am

Spike09 wrote:
Well look on the bright side, the white house doesn't approve SOPA, Notch from Minecraft said to the users to pirate the game as a sign of protest, Ed Boon and WB Games might leave ESA and Wikipedia is blacked out, SOPA and PIPA might go to the shelves.

That's still as scary... Even if it's on the shelf, it's still a drastic action the mere conception of such a bill... There's a question to be asked here even if they burn the bill in good ol' 100-proof Stolichnaya vodka- If they could write such a thing down, what's to come? And who's to say the next thing the think up won't get passed, regardless the social flak... As John (Total Biscuit) says in his video, some 'critics' are speculating that they are discussing this bill only to shelf it and then pass PIPA on the 'well, it's not as dangerous/damaging/plain ol' bad as SOPA was' reasoning. This however is untrue. I've been through both legislation drafts (I deal in law and am rather intrigued about this) and both have the potential to wreck some mean havoc on the Internet world.

Not to mention the international impact of both bills. You I am guessing are a US citizen and for you and most of this site this is internal policy (domestic legislation). However, with this (SOPA) the US government and third-party corporations (non-state-owned ones) can actually prosecute international sites, no matter where they are stationed. This is BIG. If passed, it would be the first legal document giving any one government the power to interact with another's property without considering the other's own legislation.

Think of it this way:
A US stationed corporation, say Budweiser (it's a US beer company, right?) finds something they deem a copyright infringement on a German-based site (say it's just the Bud logo on a pub's site, under 'offered beer' or something).
"Oooh! That's our property! You have no right to it!" they say and threaten to block the entire site worldwide (say it's like the most famous German pub in the world). Naturally, the German site's reaction would be "But our legislation says--"
"Tut-tut!" would the US Corp. cut-in. "SOPA, our own domestic legislation, gives us the right to do this! So get your pants down and turn around..."

BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 am

Scott wrote:

Dammit, Scottie! This is important!

BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:24 am

Here's something you might like: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, I mean Richard O'Dwyer

The first case of a guy being extradited to the US for infringing their copyright laws in another country, namely the UK, where laws on torrent sites and torrent (P2P) sharing is currently a gray area. In fact, no. It's not a gray area. It's legal, in the sense that there is no law directly prohibiting it and the courts (being the snapping ol' champs they are, <3 @ Lord Denning) are reluctant to stretch island-based legislation so they don't risk interfering with EU HR clauses (namely the one on freedom of information and the such) which is gonna bring in waaaay more flak (both domestic and external).
Yes, I know it's an Escapist article and their main source is listed as The Guardian, but that paper's still better than the bloody ol' Daily Mail or better yet- Yer Evenin' Standard there, Gov'na!

Anyways, this is basically what it's gonna be if SOPA comes along...

More from the Escapist on SOPA: Internet Wars: Return of the SOPA

OT'er

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 am

Angry Joe did some videos too, though I just think he ain't the right guy to discuss, I suggest the Heart of Gaming video about it, it's just more complex and does give examples.

Oh and Wikipedia shut down to protest it, check it out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 am

Spike09 wrote:

To reiterate on some major companies' stances;
As John (Total Biscuit) stated, EA (Not Activision, he apologized for that mistake) supports the ESA's movement (i.e- supports SOPA). Now, why the hell do they do that? An average Joe would say "Well, of course they do, piracy affects their game revenues!" and that might as well be so. However, SOPA doesn't only affect PirateBay (-Bey, whatever, don't care) and it's many colleagues. SOPA has a direct effect on digital distribution. John only hinted at that near the end, mentioning Valve and STEAM (Valve's digital distribution service). And there we find the actual, corporate-level, commercial answer to EA's decision.

Valve has stated that, while it does not approve of piracy in any way, it fears that SOPA will have a much worse effect on the digital distribution market, naming STEAM as one of its 'victims'. Valve has found a way to battle online piracy by turning their colors and making them a sort of online privateers, although not an accurate comparison. Valve's way, an a much safer, less damaging way at that, on battling online piracy is simple- offer a better service and even get some of the 'pirates' employed in its own system. And at that STEAM has prospered, making it the biggest digital distribution system, at least game-wise.

Now, I bet you all know, EA has recently launched (during the 2011 Eurogamer, to which I were privy) it's own digital distribution service- Origin. Origin has right now, at least for me, proved rather unwanted, if not even unneeded. It made me re-make some parts of my BioWare account, make an EA account, and spend several hours trying to figure what my unique, super-special ID Name is supposed to be, cause apparently it gives you one but doesn't tell you what it actually is, even if you ask real nice and offer it cookies...

Anyways, being the monopoly-driven corporate conglomerate, EA naturally wants a cut in Valve's Digital distribution market. A cut as big as the whole pie, to be certain. That said, it doesn't seem surprising that EA would encourage SOPA, looking back at it's other recent skirmishes with Valve on the Origin-STEAM issue... For instance, Mass Effect won't be coming to STEAM at launch for that same reason, albeit somewhere hidden in the context.

This does bring me to my next question, one directed directly at EA's upper corporate branch. WHY the bloody goose's fuck would you support legislation that outright stops digital distribution when you yourself have an infant digital distribution system still sucking at your breast?! Are they seriously that desperate to get valve and STEAM out of the market? Many other companies, Activision being one of them, are openly against SOPA. Their policy towards STEAM being a form of a symbiotic relationship- they provide the game and all the maintenance, STEAM and Valve look after game security, multiplayer, advertisement, etc. Others, while seemingly remaining neutral en-face, have even toyed around with the idea of pulling out of the organization altogether.

Most, if not all, indie game producers, Mojang being at the leading ranks with their 8-bit banner flying high, have been openly outspoken against SOPA and it's PIPA cousin. That is generally easy to grasp- they are 100% dependent on digital distribution to get their wares and products to their large consumer and fan base.

Well, that's it for now... I'm really thinking of compiling all this (all my posts) in another 'Monkey Wrench' issue...

Last edited by House on Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:28 am

Spike09 wrote:
Angry Joe did some videos too, though I just think he ain't the right guy to discuss, I suggest the Heart of Gaming video about it, it's just more complex and does give examples.

Oh and Wikipedia shut down to protest it, check it out.

Wikipedia's 'black-out' protest is all well and dandy in my opinion. Most of the content there would directly fall into the grasp of SOPA...

ExtraCreditz and some other cool dudes on YouTube have made a really neat suggestion:

I agree with them completely, even if I can't attend E3, it being in the US and all... If I could attend E3, I wouldn't have... Makes sense?
Oh man

Warlord

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 am

House wrote:
Scott wrote:

Imma busy man! Don't got time to watch a 21 min vid! Also... I already know about the SOPA/PIPA thing.

Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:13 am

Scott wrote:
House wrote:
Scott wrote:

Imma busy man! Don't got time to watch a 21 min vid! Also... I already know about the SOPA/PIPA thing.

Well... Good for you! Lots of people don't! This is for them...
And you do know, SOPA does affect you and your art as well... If SOPA (or PIPA) passes, chances are dA will be one of the first sites to close down...

Perfect Stranger

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:55 am

Fight the power!

Warlord

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:57 am

House wrote:
Scott wrote:
House wrote:
Scott wrote:

And you do know, SOPA does affect you and your art as well... If SOPA (or PIPA) passes, chances are dA will be one of the first sites to close down...

I wasn't harpin'... Mr. Harper. ;)

Back to top Go down
Grimeth
Sad Panda

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:55 pm

It's a big deal.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Scott wrote:
House wrote:
Scott wrote:

wat?
huh?

Sad Panda

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:59 pm

House wrote:
Scott wrote:
House wrote:

wat?
huh?

THIS IS SERIOUS BUSINESS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boba
Talz

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:21 pm

I hope to God the government doesn't pass it. If they do, it's one more step towards a New World Order. Censored internet in the land of the free.

Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Eli Manning wrote:
I hope to God the government doesn't pass it. If they do, it's one more step towards a New World Order. Censored internet in the land of the free.

Not just 'in the land of the free'... The whole world as it does give them (the gommiment and corporations) the ability (I wouldn't call it power as that word sounds too... powerful and might bring the wrong picture) to intervene and punish another country's property without any consideration to its' own laws and policy...

It's actually a real enigma why the UN hasn't come into this, or at least the EU as a major international entity- the only entity in the world capable of making international legislation, and that only affecting it's own member states...

What the US is doing in the bigger picture (forget copyright and censorship bullshit) is actually trying to pass a legal document in it's domestic sphere enabling it to take direct and otherwise unsupervised (by an international body) action in the international sphere... That, as you said, is one step towards a 'New World Order'...

And that's what's really bothering me...

You americanz should stop considering yourselves 'the land of the free' anyways... But that's another rant for another time...

Sad Panda

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:54 pm

House wrote:

You americanz should stop considering yourselves 'the land of the free' anyways... But that's another rant for another time...

... yeah
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:06 pm

ZombieGrimeth wrote:
House wrote:

... yeah

I said another time, dammit! I'm not in that particular mood right now!

OMG!

Naw, but you're OK... You're OK... I like you guys! Americans, I mean... The American mentality... That's another thing... For a different time...

Oh man

Sad Panda

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:20 pm

House wrote:
ZombieGrimeth wrote:
House wrote:

... yeah

OMG!

Naw, but you're OK... You're OK... I like you guys! Americans, I mean... The American mentality... That's another thing... For a different time...

Oh man

Get out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:33 pm

ZombieGrimeth wrote:
House wrote:
ZombieGrimeth wrote:

... yeah

OMG!

Oh man

Get out.

Not sure if serious or just doesn't get the trollz...

you

OT'er

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:42 pm

Well one thing is for sure, I will alert my game developers to stop this bullshit

First Ed Boon

Then Capcom

Then EA (as they have BioWare)

and Then something else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ban-Anad
BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Spike09 wrote:
Well one thing is for sure, I will alert my game developers to stop this bullshit

First Ed Boon

Then Capcom

Then EA (as they have BioWare)

and Then something else.

You can strike out EA right now- it won't back down and probably tag you as an activist and probable game-pirater... They are sorta eccentric in that notion... As I said, they're taking the role of the monopolistic conglomerate in this play and are hoping (in mine own opinion) that SOPA would push Valve and STEAM out of the Digi-Dis (I'm calling it this now, I swear if I spell it out again I'm gonna brake something) market high seat... In a fight such as that, I dare say EA would probably win out... I mean look at this:

Valve's STEAM provides a service towards a lot of game developers (including EA). This means it sells their copyrighted material. Under SOPA and PIPA, this would no longer be possible. STEAM would be forced to either close down completely or continue on distributing it's own products (Half-Life, Portal, TF, etc.).

EA intends Origin as a platform for the Digi-Dis (I'm serious here! Stop laughing!) of its' own products. However. And that be a big however at that. EA is an umbrella corporation- it includes such studios as BioWare, Visceral, Maxis etc. (off the top of my head). Not to mention, EA is a licensed distributer (not the same as reseller, which STEAM is at the moment) for a lot more other companies. This gives it a much wider array of provided products.

This whole thing means that, in the end, EA's Origin will, in fact, be less affected than Valve's STEAM in the chance that SOPA & PIPA get passed.

I personally think that even if not openly against SOPA, a lot of companies and publishers would actually skip this year's E3, either as a form of silent protest or out of fear from social flak; and in general it wouldn't really be as attended as in previous years. That's to say if this thing drags out into June...

BananaGod

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:37 pm

So I logged on to some iTunes Radio broadcasts... Seems most have gone down protesting against SOPA and PIPA... Is this an Apple thing?

PostSubject: Re: SOPA!   Today at 11:51 am

Back to top Go down

SOPA!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next