OT Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a hero

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
Virus Awareness! EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

Virus Awareness!

Go down 
+8
MrEvilDude
Ulyaoth
Meatlocker
Boba
Ban-Anad
Burkman
CollaWars
Scott
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:06 pm

I thought I would share this site with you all (it's a malware awareness site): http://www.dcwg.org/

The check, removal and everything are free I believe...

Last edited by Scott on Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://swtorot.forumotion.com
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:12 pm

I use this and it works pretty well.

http://www.surfright.nl/en
Back to top Go down
Burkman
Perfect Stranger
Burkman

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:17 pm

I never heard of the DNS Changer virus. The one virus that made me reformat my computer blue screens me constantly if I try to remove it. That bitch is gone now. Recently, I found some hijacker viruses when I scanned with Malewarebytes. They're gone, too.
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 pm

CollaWars wrote:
I use this and it works pretty well.

http://www.surfright.nl/en

No it's for a specific virus ( it's not a commercial virus scan and protection product)... it was on the news... and they said it can evade virus scans.

Last edited by Scott on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Detective Burkman wrote:
I never heard of the DNS Changer virus. The one virus that made me reformat my computer blue screens me constantly if I try to remove it. That bitch is gone now. Recently, I found some hijacker viruses when I scanned with Malewarebytes. They're gone, too.

According to the news authorities said this virus was set to go viral this next Monday (as it's been transmitted through gov sites and the like and lays dormant in your machine until a certain date)... the gov sent out an alert or something.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:55 pm

Oh good... Always swell to know there are new types of STDs for our computers...
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:19 am

Kaspersky had been reliable for me. Bet I could overcome the Stutnex worm on this baby.
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:33 am

Bobabounty wrote:
Kaspersky had been reliable for me. Bet I could overcome the Stutnex worm on this baby.

I have Kaspersky too... and so did the guy who sent me to that site... a guy who got the virus.
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 am

Oh, it's that thing? Already did that. Don't have it.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:12 am

Scott wrote:
Bobabounty wrote:

I have Kaspersky too... and so did the guy who sent me to that site... a guy who got the virus.

Yeah... My best friend had Kaspersky couple years ago... Then got hit by some major virus (no adblock and a history of OCD, you get the picture)... Re-installed his OS about ten times, reformatted ALL his hard drives at least 20 times (and there were a LOT of them)... Got him new hard drives... Had to disassemble the whole thing... And I don't mean 'clean the PC for dust' disassemble... I mean we were pushing 'reverse engineer'... After privateering his dads' little 'tinkering den' (think a more today version of Tony Starks' garage) and having that genius I know who now studies at Oxford plus a couple of other geeks (a maths guy who doodles in 4 computer languages and two other physicists) from school help us about... That thing had dug itself into the RAM of the graphics card...

From that day on, I trust no fucking anti-virus software. There's always something new and more sophisticated than previously imagined...
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:27 am

Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:
Bobabounty wrote:

There's always something new and more sophisticated than previously imagined...

Exactly... that's why governments put up the links like the one I posted... because of such incidents.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:34 am

Scott wrote:
Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:

Exactly... that's why governments put up the links like the one I posted... because of such incidents.

I hate to sound all tin-foil hatty, but you do know the first virus ever made (and I mean the one before the one by the two college kids) was by the US military as a fail-safe procedure against hacks into government/military databases... And they have repeatedly come out stating that some viruses were developed over pre-existing military/government research...
And I'm not pointing any fingers here... It's not just the US... Granted, it's mostly the US, but there have been others on gov payroll fucking the fuck up...
Back to top Go down
Meatlocker
Detective
Meatlocker

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:36 am

Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:
Ban-Anad wrote:

I hate to sound all tin-foil hatty, but you do know the first virus ever made (and I mean the one before the one by the two college kids) was by the US military as a fail-safe procedure against hacks into government/military databases... And they have repeatedly come out stating that some viruses were developed over pre-existing military/government research...
And I'm not pointing any fingers here... It's not just the US... Granted, it's mostly the US, but there have been others on gov payroll fucking the fuck up...

I don't see how that is the U.S.'s fault.
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 2:48 pm

Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:
Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:

Um... no the first virus was not created by the US gov. It is NOT mostly the US (I shouldn't even have to mention Denmark and Germany). You're making absurdly false statements here... almost such i'm willing to call you Uly. That is unless this is a blatant troll... and I just walked blindly into it.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Scott wrote:
Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:

Um... no the first virus was not created by the US gov. It is NOT mostly the US (I shouldn't even have to mention Denmark and Germany). You're making absurdly false statements here... almost such i'm willing to call you Uly. That is unless this is a blatant troll... and I just walked blindly into it.

Yeah... Didn't do your Google search thorough enough...
First actual 'virus'-like program or algorithm (to be more precise) was made by the military to protect their database. This was before the internet became a fad and only stuff with tax-payer funding could get a wire. (Cold War times) It was a basic worm that tunneled through the hacking computer... There was also a memory-scrub version for when they wanted out of a project with no loose files hanging about.
The first 'actual' virus to hit the world wide web was in fact made by two college geeks (I think it was MIT or something).
There's a good amount of malicious software that began its life as a cyber warfare project for someone's military (not pointing fingers)...
Yeah, I was kinda poking a nerve wen stating it was mostly the US's fault and you are right- there's some that falls on Germany, Denmark, Korea, the USSR, the UK... Hell, even good ol' Bulgaria gets in the picture a couple times...
But yes- most of the times (unless we are talking about teenage hackers just playing skittles with a nation's defenses) it's people on gov payroll that fuck up big... It's always the "This is gonna solve the hack-ins and data leaks... Oh wait... Maybe I shouldn't have given it a self-replicating protocol and introduced it to the Internet... My bad..." story...
Back to top Go down
Ulyaoth
Lonely Bastard
Ulyaoth

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:57 pm

Ban-Anad wrote:
Yeah... Didn't do your Google search thorough enough...

Yeah, I was kinda poking a nerve when stating it was...

No, NOW you poked a nerve. *hears trees crashing to the ground in the distance*

*scampers away*
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Meatlocker wrote:
Ban-Anad wrote:
Scott wrote:

Everything is the US's fault. When your toilet doesn't flush, it is the US goverment trying to spread American imperialism.
Back to top Go down
Meatlocker
Detective
Meatlocker

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 5:15 pm

CollaWars wrote:
Meatlocker wrote:
Ban-Anad wrote:

Everything is the US's fault. When your toilet doesn't flush, it is the US goverment trying to spread American imperialism.

Virus Awareness! 2238782717
Back to top Go down
MrEvilDude
Needs To Go Outside
MrEvilDude

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:40 am

Meatlocker wrote:
CollaWars wrote:
Meatlocker wrote:

so I should blame 'Merica for the heat wave then...

FILTHY AMERICAN SCUM.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 9:47 am

MrEvilDude wrote:
Meatlocker wrote:
CollaWars wrote:

FILTHY AMERICAN SCUM.

Well... Global warming was their idea...
Back to top Go down
MrEvilDude
Needs To Go Outside
MrEvilDude

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 am

no...just no
Ban-Anad wrote:
MrEvilDude wrote:
Meatlocker wrote:

FILTHY AMERICAN SCUM.

Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:49 am

Ban-Anad wrote:
MrEvilDude wrote:
Meatlocker wrote:
CollaWars wrote:

FILTHY AMERICAN SCUM.

Please... don't step in that shit... it's humiliating enough to know I share the same country with Al Gore (among others).
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:56 am

Would cutting the country in half be a bad idea? 25 states to one and 25 to the other. Two governments that have nothing to do with eachother.
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 10:59 am

Branch wrote:
Would cutting the country in half be a bad idea? 25 states to one and 25 to the other. Two governments that have nothing to do with eachother.

North and South... or East and West... or are we doing a Risk board approach? Hitlah!
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:01 am

Scott wrote:
Branch wrote:

North and South... or East and West... or are we doing a Risk board approach? Hitlah!

Say whaaa?

I am unsure how to seperate.... Montana would want to be with the southern states...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Virus Awareness! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Virus Awareness!   Virus Awareness! Empty

Back to top Go down

Virus Awareness!
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next