I need a hero
 
PortalHomeSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog inChat
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 
Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

Share | 
 

 OT Survivor

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Scott
Warlord


Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 27
Location : Burkman's attic... drilling...

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I feel a Mine Turtle's main prey is Uly...

_________________

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Captain Kloud
GD Member


Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Scott wrote:


Yeah making a usable bow is ridiculously difficult... especially for a person who is doing it for the first time. And I've been on islands before... not many critters run from you because they don't know to be afraid of humans. And on the off chance they do... you can throw a spear just as well as you can load and fire a bow... especially on an island that might have dense foliage.

ill give you that it is difficult to make without prior knowledge. good thing i jumped in to help teach it and make it far easier. some animals wont run, most will. fight or flight takes place, and they will watch you from a safe distance and vantage point for a while to see how you act.


It's in the eyes of the beholder... that might be your intent... that will not be the result.

it dosent matter what they see, it matters what they do. humans respond to beatings pretty well.


Yes... the amount of people working on a fire WILL make an effect on the time it takes. You split up into smaller teams and you let each try their own way... not everyone HASN'T been thru boy scouts or camping here. Yes it does take patience... but guess what... you got nothing else to do. Actually Islands have dry seasons just like continents do. I think I stated the last part before... but I don't want to take the chance on bad bacteria every time I drink do you?

when in an unfamiliar place and with people working (this will be almost constant at first, as stopping for long periods of time will reduce the chances of survival), you will need water. some people might be able to wait for hours for that water, 1 or 2 dumbasses will probably try drinking the sea water. you neednt risk bad bacteria everytime, just at first.


You have a point here... tho I am the last person that would know what is edible. I know there's usually star fruit, coconuts, and bananas (tho only if they were somehow brought there before). From what I remember seeing in islands at least.

bananas are unlikely, but there are many other things to consume besides fruit. good thing i also am good at identifying edible plant life for the most part.


The amount of clothing I'm talking about wouldn't encourage the growth of harmful bacteria... nor would I suggest wearing clothing when it's wet. Even a little leather cover prevents scrapes and scratches from infecting... and you where it over more vulnerable areas... it's not like we're planning on making a full wardrobe here.

drying it out in the sun will not kill the bacteria, but i will concede that a little bit of covering will help against small cuts and scrapes. though those are far less likely to get infected.


Again... it's like you're assuming you can't take the clothing off once it's on. You let clothes dry when they get wet don't you? We're not soldiers in WW1 trenches with our boots constantly on. And not all reefs do you stand on... plenty you can swim over and still have reaching distance for fish and shells. This whole reef scenario is just as much of a hazard as running around on the island itself. Also... saltwater is the best disinfectant we've got... and if we were lucky there'd be aloe vera on the island. I suppose we could ferment something too... but that would take time and specific tools.

clothing never comes off. dont pretend it does. it be like fur once it goes on the body. true that you can swim over some reefs, but that will tire you out far more quickly then it is worth. in that case it would be better to build some form of floating device. true there wont be much better to disinfect, but just because something is a slightly better option does not mean it should be taken. you take many many risks in using sea water to disinfect then in letting your body do its thing.


Again... it wouldn't take as long to create fire as you think. Also... fish is the best animal we can eat raw without fear of being sick. But you have a point in eating the plants until there was a fire going. Again fear leads to mistrust... which means anyone's back is open. And eating a human is far worse than eating a raw fish.

there neednt be fear. make it plain and simple : dont pull your own weight, you get eaten. then everyone knows as long as they dont start dragging everyone else down in a signifigant way, they are safe. eating humans isnt as bad as you think, as long as noone has any diseases. fingers crossed on that one i guess.


Didn't say we would mainly survive on fish... just that it was a viable option. The point of this hypothetical was to see if we could still live as a society still... at least moderately... without turning into barbarians.

barbarians were a part of society.

This is opinionated.... not even a vague fact.

nope, it is fact actually.



Right...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Burkman
Perfect Stranger


Posts : 6439
Join date : 2011-02-23
Age : 72
Location : The Moon

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Well... beating somebody can cause the other people to hate you and quite possibly become hostile towards you.

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ulyaoth
Lonely Bastard


Posts : 4343
Join date : 2011-04-19
Age : 29
Location : Hampton, Virginia

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:46 pm

What this all amounts to is my original post.

"We'd just look for water to drink or food and try to find a safe place to sleep. Gather wood to make a fire but be unable to. Quite possibly starve to death."

_________________
(´・ω・`)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott
Warlord


Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 27
Location : Burkman's attic... drilling...

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Captain Kloud wrote:
Scott wrote:


ill give you that it is difficult to make without prior knowledge. good thing i jumped in to help teach it and make it far easier. some animals wont run, most will. fight or flight takes place, and they will watch you from a safe distance and vantage point for a while to see how you act.

How are you going to overcome the foliage?

it dosent matter what they see, it matters what they do. humans respond to beatings pretty well.

The point being it's not gonna be a good response (necessarily)...

when in an unfamiliar place and with people working (this will be almost constant at first, as stopping for long periods of time will reduce the chances of survival), you will need water. some people might be able to wait for hours for that water, 1 or 2 dumbasses will probably try drinking the sea water. you neednt risk bad bacteria everytime, just at first.

Lucky for them I'm a Geologist then... And I want to know what dumbass hasn't heard not to drink salt water... maybe I put too much faith into others.


bananas are unlikely, but there are many other things to consume besides fruit. good thing i also am good at identifying edible plant life for the most part.

Unless you're not use to tropical and sub tropic plantlife on an unknown island... :P

drying it out in the sun will not kill the bacteria, but i will concede that a little bit of covering will help against small cuts and scrapes. though those are far less likely to get infected.

This is where we need soap... and we can make soap... especially on an island that has choral reefs.

clothing never comes off. dont pretend it does. it be like fur once it goes on the body.

lol

true that you can swim over some reefs, but that will tire you out far more quickly then it is worth.

What? I don't even... you don't even need to be out there long to get what we'ed need. And the fish literally swim AROUND you.

in that case it would be better to build some form of floating device.

I feel this would be something that would come about later...

true there wont be much better to disinfect, but just because something is a slightly better option does not mean it should be taken. you take many many risks in using sea water to disinfect then in letting your body do its thing.

Like I said... you are at just as great a risk running around the island for things. What's your point? Just because you try to disinfect something with sea water doesn't mean your body wont "do its thing".

there neednt be fear. make it plain and simple : dont pull your own weight, you get eaten. then everyone knows as long as they dont start dragging everyone else down in a signifigant way, they are safe. eating humans isnt as bad as you think, as long as noone has any diseases. fingers crossed on that one i guess.

lmao

barbarians were a part of society.

Not what I meant...

nope, it is fact actually.

Okai Goldilocks...



_________________

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Captain Kloud
GD Member


Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:21 pm

Scott wrote:


How are you going to overcome the foliage?

with my years of experience overcoming foliage and knowing how to compensate my aim.


The point being it's not gonna be a good response (necessarily)...

necessarily. a chance im willing to take


Lucky for them I'm a Geologist then... And I want to know what dumbass hasn't heard not to drink salt water... maybe I put too much faith into others.

honestly, you would be surprised.


Unless you're not use to tropical and sub tropic plantlife on an unknown island... :P

you are forgetting something very key, i created existence.


This is where we need soap... and we can make soap... especially on an island that has choral reefs.

youve got me there on the ability to create soap, too bad soap only breaks the surface tension of the water against your flesh and dosent actually disinfect you at all. but cutting down on the stink will make you very popular. especially if any vagina exists on the island.


What? I don't even... you don't even need to be out there long to get what we'ed need. And the fish literally swim AROUND you.

you may have the ability to spear a fish while your swimming in neck deep water(the only water over coral where you wont be in danger), but i doubt many if any of the other people here can.

I feel this would be something that would come about later...

i point you to my previous comment.

Like I said... you are at just as great a risk running around the island for things. What's your point? Just because you try to disinfect something with sea water doesn't mean your body wont "do its thing".

not really, as bacteria arent just floating around in the air. unless your running through the island, or not paying attention to where you are going(in which case your ass needs to be making tools not exploring), there is far less risk in the exploration of the island. oh it will try to do its thing, but that nasty unnamed disease you just got from some oceanic bacteria is going to make it far more difficult.


Not what I meant...

but its what you said.

Okai Goldilocks...

i tackle brown bears to the ground and beat the shit out of them until they learn english and beg for me to stop.

[/quote]

[/quote]

o.0 i have no idea why, but that was hilarious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott
Warlord


Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 27
Location : Burkman's attic... drilling...

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:39 pm

Scott wrote:


with my years of experience overcoming foliage and knowing how to compensate my aim.

I see Burkman is correct... god complex.

necessarily. a chance im willing to take

For someone who said he doesn't like taking risks I find this an odd statement...

honestly, you would be surprised.

I bet I would be...

you are forgetting something very key, i created existence.

god complex

youve got me there on the ability to create soap, too bad soap only breaks the surface tension of the water against your flesh and dosent actually disinfect you at all. but cutting down on the stink will make you very popular. especially if any vagina exists on the island.

The soap is for clothes...

you may have the ability to spear a fish while your swimming in neck deep water(the only water over coral where you wont be in danger), but i doubt many if any of the other people here can.

Again nets... tho I don't think it would be hard to sit in the water with a spear find a fish near a rock...

not really, as bacteria arent just floating around in the air. unless your running through the island, or not paying attention to where you are going(in which case your ass needs to be making tools not exploring), there is far less risk in the exploration of the island. oh it will try to do its thing, but that nasty unnamed disease you just got from some oceanic bacteria is going to make it far more difficult.

There's more bacteria on that thorn you just cut yourself with than floating in the ocean... and even professional athletes can cut, twist an ankle, etc on jagged rock and jungle.

but its what you said.

Barbarians aren't a part of today's society... if they are... they get arrested for such acts.

i tackle brown bears to the ground and beat the shit out of them until they learn english and beg for me to stop.

Right... about those drugs...


_________________

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Captain Kloud
GD Member


Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:47 pm

[quote="Scott"]
Scott wrote:



I see Burkman is correct... god complex.

not a complex, simply reality.


For someone who said he doesn't like taking risks I find this an odd statement...

i am not concerned with the risks a human ca provide. very small risks.


I bet I would be...

srsly. there are alot of people stupid enough to do it.

god complex
minus the complex part.


The soap is for clothes...
still dosent kill bacteria, it will just wash the sweat and grime away. most soap used in laundry that youll buy in the stores has a slight effect on bacteria by design, and if you use hot water to wash them that makes all the difference.


Again nets... tho I don't think it would be hard to sit in the water with a spear find a fish near a rock...
have you ever actually tried using a spear underwater? its alot more difficult then it sounds until you get the proper hang of it.


There's more bacteria on that thorn you just cut yourself with than floating in the ocean... and even professional athletes can cut, twist an ankle, etc on jagged rock and jungle.
you wont cut yourself on anything if you pay attention to your surroundings and are careful. professional athletes generally are running around. unless something is chasing you, you will not be running around. only an idiot dosent watch their footing.


Barbarians aren't a part of today's society... if they are... they get arrested for such acts.
i have only been arrested once for such acts.


Right... about those drugs...
thats my job. putting punk animals in their place.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott
Warlord


Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 27
Location : Burkman's attic... drilling...

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm

Scott wrote:


not a complex, simply reality.

Well you know what they say... reality is in the mind.

minus the complex part.

Refer to comment above...

still dosent kill bacteria, it will just wash the sweat and grime away. most soap used in laundry that youll buy in the stores has a slight effect on bacteria by design, and if you use hot water to wash them that makes all the difference.

Yeah... the sweat and grime that bacteria lives on... I get the feeling you wash your clothes because you think the only thing it does is make them smell better.

have you ever actually tried using a spear underwater? its alot more difficult then it sounds until you get the proper hang of it.

Truthfully? No... I haven't... not in water... I wonder how hard it would be to makeshift a harpoon... bamboo grows on a lot of islands.

you wont cut yourself on anything if you pay attention to your surroundings and are careful. professional athletes generally are running around. unless something is chasing you, you will not be running around. only an idiot dosent watch their footing.

It doesn't sound like you've been on an island... dense foliage... is dense foliage. It's like walking through the underbrush of forests... only thicker. Because you can see through that dense foliage at all times to see where your food is going... you know that beneath that dead vegetation there's a spit rock.

i have only been arrested once for such acts.

Then you're doing better than me...

Because I like to quote myself...

_________________

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Captain Kloud
GD Member


Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 pm

[quote="Scott"]
Scott wrote:



Yeah... the sweat and grime that bacteria lives on... I get the feeling you wash your clothes because you think the only thing it does is make them smell better.

wash? clothes? you sir are living in fantasy land. didnt we speak of my barbarism?


Truthfully? No... I haven't... not in water... I wonder how hard it would be to makeshift a harpoon... bamboo grows on a lot of islands.

if you are reffering to one which is projected from another object, it is difficult. generally speaking however, the pointed object is not thrust through the water while it is already in it, as your arm itself will make its speed much less. best to start outside the water, and then release almost as soon as your hand is about to enter. even then, it takes some time to get that aiming down, that is assuming that the fish swimming around you arent small enough to be considered "minnows"


It doesn't sound like you've been on an island... dense foliage... is dense foliage. It's like walking through the underbrush of forests... only thicker. Because you can see through that dense foliage at all times to see where your food is going... you know that beneath that dead vegetation there's a spit rock.

it dosent sound to me like you are smart enough to use a long stick for prodding the ground before you walk over it.

.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott
Warlord


Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 27
Location : Burkman's attic... drilling...

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:51 pm

Scott wrote:


wash? clothes? you sir are living in fantasy land. didnt we speak of my barbarism?

Fair 'nuff... ew... xD

if you are reffering to one which is projected from another object, it is difficult. generally speaking however, the pointed object is not thrust through the water while it is already in it, as your arm itself will make its speed much less. best to start outside the water, and then release almost as soon as your hand is about to enter. even then, it takes some time to get that aiming down, that is assuming that the fish swimming around you arent small enough to be considered "minnows"

Your physics is sound on that... for the last part... have you seen tropical fish? *holds out arms almost to full spread*

it dosent sound to me like you are smart enough to use a long stick for prodding the ground before you walk over it.

So you're going to poke every spot before you step on it... even tho you can't be certain you're going to be stepping in the same spot. And if you take the time to clear the brush with your "stick" you'll be moving at a snails pace... accomplishing what? What if you have to be moving fast for a storm or hunting? You can't make yourself 100% free of risk. And while you do this... you're trading safety for valuable efficiency.

_________________

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Grimeth
Sad Panda


Posts : 2555
Join date : 2011-02-16
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:09 am

Does this island have bamboo?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Captain Kloud
GD Member


Posts : 40
Join date : 2012-09-16
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:57 am

Scott wrote:
Scott wrote:



Your physics is sound on that... for the last part... have you seen tropical fish? *holds out arms almost to full spread*
those would be the ones you spoke of with seasonal migration patterns. the ones close to the beach will either be minnow-like, or enough to feed 1 person, but both will swim away from you. they arent squirrels, they dont care what you are going to do, they just assume 'OHFUCKTHERESSOMETHINGMOVINGSWIMAWAY!"


So you're going to poke every spot before you step on it... even tho you can't be certain you're going to be stepping in the same spot. And if you take the time to clear the brush with your "stick" you'll be moving at a snails pace... accomplishing what? What if you have to be moving fast for a storm or hunting? You can't make yourself 100% free of risk. And while you do this... you're trading safety for valuable efficiency.
i can be 100% certain of where i step. i honestly assume that most people are the same way with that. i dont have to clear brush to stab the stick into the ground quickly ahead of me to check and see whats there. as for moving fast for a storm or hunting, with a storm hopefully by the time one hits ill have found or made shelter, if not then i guess im taking my chances. oh wait. i dont care about getting wet. ill still move at the same pace. and by the time i were hunting, if i went that route at all, ill already have a pretty decent mental map of a good 2-3 mile radius area, and wont have to worry too much about moving quickly and stumbling. people who cant walk right should not be hunting. they are tool makers and food.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Mortonator
Golden Kanohi
Golden Kanohi


Posts : 2578
Join date : 2011-04-11
Location : Space, the final frontier right before what's beyond that.

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 am

Ya, let me sum up my thoughts on all that:

Using a Bow in the thick isn't about compensating so much as having a shot in the first place. Give me a spear any day over that.

Scott is always right.

Except when we disagree. (Do we disagree on anything? Maybe evolution... Speaking of which I just found out this morning that TV Tropes has more academic neutrality than Wikipedia and TV Tropes actually offers valid arguments and counterarguments.)

_________________


"When life gives you Mandos, make Mando'ade."

Evil Hat Association. The RP spin off from SW:TOR. WE USED TO BE ONE!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott
Warlord


Posts : 11277
Join date : 2011-01-26
Age : 27
Location : Burkman's attic... drilling...

PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:09 am

Captain Kloud wrote:
Scott wrote:
Scott wrote:



Your physics is sound on that... for the last part... have you seen tropical fish? *holds out arms almost to full spread*
those would be the ones you spoke of with seasonal migration patterns. the ones close to the beach will either be minnow-like, or enough to feed 1 person, but both will swim away from you. they arent squirrels, they dont care what you are going to do, they just assume 'OHFUCKTHERESSOMETHINGMOVINGSWIMAWAY!"


So you're going to poke every spot before you step on it... even tho you can't be certain you're going to be stepping in the same spot. And if you take the time to clear the brush with your "stick" you'll be moving at a snails pace... accomplishing what? What if you have to be moving fast for a storm or hunting? You can't make yourself 100% free of risk. And while you do this... you're trading safety for valuable efficiency.
i can be 100% certain of where i step. i honestly assume that most people are the same way with that. i dont have to clear brush to stab the stick into the ground quickly ahead of me to check and see whats there. as for moving fast for a storm or hunting, with a storm hopefully by the time one hits ill have found or made shelter, if not then i guess im taking my chances. oh wait. i dont care about getting wet. ill still move at the same pace. and by the time i were hunting, if i went that route at all, ill already have a pretty decent mental map of a good 2-3 mile radius area, and wont have to worry too much about moving quickly and stumbling. people who cant walk right should not be hunting. they are tool makers and food.

Sense... this makes none...

_________________

You thinkin' what I'm thinkin' partner? Aim for the bushes... *brofist*
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://swtorot.forumotion.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: OT Survivor   Today at 11:49 pm

Back to top Go down
 
OT Survivor
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Survivor: Redemption Island Signature Contest!
» Survivor: Redemption Island
» Survivor Pandemonium: Kuril Islands
» Survivor Retrospective
» Survivor: Oh Craps (Application/Rules/Description)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OT Legacy :: The Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: