OT Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a hero

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

So I'm getting a new rig...

Go down 
+5
GSG
CollaWars
Yeet
Boba
Ban-Anad
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

So I'm getting a new rig... Empty
PostSubject: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:00 pm

So I'm getting a new laptop for my birthday/Christmas (both...)
I've long stopped myself at an Inspiron 15R with the following configuration:

PROCESSOR 2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.10 GHz
MEMORY 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
HARD DRIVE 750GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 525M (128-bit) 1GB (Quad)
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive) with Roxio Creator 2011
FACIAL RECOGNITION SOFTWARE Integrated 1.0 mega pixel widescreen HD Webcam
DISPLAY 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™
SYSTEM COLOR Switch by Design Studio - Diamond Black
Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Adobe Reader Adobe Acrobat X Reader
SOUND OPTIONS HD Audio 2.0 Support SRS™ Premium Sound
WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1030, 1x2 bgn + Bluetooth
BATTERY OPTIONS 48 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Right off the Dell site, priced at the *ahem...* affordable $799.99 U.S.

My dad is real pedantic about buying from the U.S. more specifically via BestBuy... But I don't seem to be able to find that particular rig... Maybe I could reason with him that buying from the Dell site is cheaper... Though we all remember what happened the last time I tried reasoning with him (he still thinks me and my girlfriend secretly got married last April)...

Anyways, help finding a US retailer with that particular specs (or close enough- Dell Inspiron 15R, i7 Quad, 8GB RAM, non-integrated graphics card/anything but Intel Graphics) would be appreciated...

Alternative rigs with same/similar layout are also welcome...

Winner gets a supply of my Mom's SPECIAL SUPA-DUPA EXTRA-DELICIOUS choco-chip cookies!

Now go! My little monkeys! GO!

(I realized the 'Ask' thread was probably not the best place to put this...)
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:46 pm

Well, your graphics card will run TOR, at medium to high settings. Your quad-core processor is amazing, and for that price.

If you would be willing to spend a little more, you may find something with an nVIDIA GT 540m. The 525m is like the desktop GT 420, which is so-so in terms of speed and ability. But it's a good price for the specs.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 3:52 pm

Bobabounty wrote:
Well, your graphics card will run TOR, at medium to high settings. Your quad-core processor is amazing, and for that price.

If you would be willing to spend a little more, you may find something with an nVIDIA GT 540m. The 525m is like the desktop GT 420, which is so-so in terms of speed and ability. But it's a good price for the specs.

Well, the ones at the Dell site are all stocked with the same GT 525m... Hey, wasn't it possible to build your own laptop on the site? You know- choose the parts out of a selection... Where did that go? My best bud used it when he was getting his XPS earlier this year... I doubt they got rid of it...
Back to top Go down
Yeet
WolfPack
WolfPack
Yeet

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

TOR's extremely easy to run on max. You should be able too.

Off course it's just beta right now...
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 8:13 pm

I can run TOR on Max, it's easy to run.
Back to top Go down
GSG
Aqua Panther
GSG

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 9:29 pm

Get a better processor.
Back to top Go down
The Mortonator
Golden Kanohi
Golden Kanohi
The Mortonator

Location : Space, the final frontier right before what's beyond that.

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyTue Nov 08, 2011 10:47 pm

Oh what kind of truck?
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:41 am

GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
Get a better processor.

Like what? As far as I know, laptops don't come with better (as in more powerful) processors as the i7...

And TOR isn't really that demanding... My current can play it (according to the released specs)... I'm aiming for something that's gonna be capable of running newer titles (more demanding ones) on at least medium settings...
Back to top Go down
GSG
Aqua Panther
GSG

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:22 am

BananaDealer wrote:
GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
Get a better processor.

Like what? As far as I know, laptops don't come with better (as in more powerful) processors as the i7...

And TOR isn't really that demanding... My current can play it (according to the released specs)... I'm aiming for something that's gonna be capable of running newer titles (more demanding ones) on at least medium settings...

Oh your buying a processor. Well 3.1 ghz is the standard now. So you may want too look at some others.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 4:46 am

GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:
GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
Get a better processor.

Oh your buying a processor. Well 3.1 ghz is the standard now. So you may want too look at some others.

Noo... I'm buying an entire laptop... As far as I know, you can't really go changing parts with laptops (most parts in any case)... And dude... Four cores of 2.20 GHz (each up to 3.10 GHz) is well enough... I mean, Turbo'd that's a total of about 12 GHz... I don't think the i7 processors come any beefier... In laptops at least...
Back to top Go down
GSG
Aqua Panther
GSG

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 6:47 am

BananaDealer wrote:
GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:

Noo... I'm buying an entire laptop... As far as I know, you can't really go changing parts with laptops (most parts in any case)... And dude... Four cores of 2.20 GHz (each up to 3.10 GHz) is well enough... I mean, Turbo'd that's a total of about 12 GHz... I don't think the i7 processors come any beefier... In laptops at least...

Yeah I started looking. Its the best you will get.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 2:51 pm

I think I just made my dad mad...

I tried to reason with him... I actually succeeded, which is why I think he's now secretly mad/angry at me... But it's not like he has a real reason... I mean, on of the laptops he suggested was near $200 more expensive than the one I picked out... So he doesn't really have a reason to be mad at me for picking out a pricey laptop... I think it had something to do with it being a Dell... He kept on how I should search for an alternative...

But I managed to talk him out of buying from the U.S (you can thank me later)... We're actually buying from home now... Reasons: cheaper, warranty's longer and it won't take fucking forever to get here...

But he still sounded angry... You know, that sort of angry when you're all smiles and courtesy and being a walking Aquafresh ad, but inside you're like 'Oh, I hope you get hit by a deer, you ungrateful little ***...'

And that always makes me sad... I dun wanna...
Back to top Go down
Spankster
OT Crime Lord
Spankster

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:05 pm

BananaDealer wrote:
I think I just made my dad mad...

I tried to reason with him... I actually succeeded, which is why I think he's now secretly mad/angry at me... But it's not like he has a real reason... I mean, on of the laptops he suggested was near $200 more expensive than the one I picked out... So he doesn't really have a reason to be mad at me for picking out a pricey laptop... I think it had something to do with it being a Dell... He kept on how I should search for an alternative...

But I managed to talk him out of buying from the U.S (you can thank me later)... We're actually buying from home now... Reasons: cheaper, warranty's longer and it won't take fucking forever to get here...

But he still sounded angry... You know, that sort of angry when you're all smiles and courtesy and being a walking Aquafresh ad, but inside you're like 'Oh, I hope you get hit by a deer, you ungrateful little ***...'

And that always makes me sad... I dun wanna...

He's going to pee in your Cheerios....he told me. OMG!
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:12 pm

BananaDealer wrote:
GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:

Don't listen to GSG. The i7 will run at a low gigahertz, but with TurboBoost it will go faster. To find an i7 that runs at 3.1 ghz would cost you in the thousands. Your laptop is fine to run TOR. Medium-to-high.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyWed Nov 09, 2011 3:16 pm

Bobabounty wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:
GiantSpiderGoat wrote:

Don't listen to GSG. The i7 will run at a low gigahertz, but with TurboBoost it will go faster. To find an i7 that runs at 3.1 ghz would cost you in the thousands. Your laptop is fine to run TOR. Medium-to-high.

You didn't read my post, did you? You just quoted it.... So I'm getting a new rig... 2238782717
And what's all this 'it will run TOR just fine...'? TOR is not the only game I'm interested in (granted, it's there in it's throne, but still)... And medium-to-high? I'm thinking more like just high... TOR won't be that demanding... My current laptop will be more than comfortable running it on medium... And it's close to three years old...

Back to top Go down
GSG
Aqua Panther
GSG

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 7:58 am

BananaDealer wrote:
Bobabounty wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:

You didn't read my post, did you? You just quoted it.... So I'm getting a new rig... 2238782717
And what's all this 'it will run TOR just fine...'? TOR is not the only game I'm interested in (granted, it's there in it's throne, but still)... And medium-to-high? I'm thinking more like just high... TOR won't be that demanding... My current laptop will be more than comfortable running it on medium... And it's close to three years old...

Also at first I thought he was buying a pc and 3.3 ghz is becoming the new standard. Everywhere I look it's between 3.1 ghz to 3.3. There are higher, but they are expensive. Also boba doesn't know crap. I would get another laptop, but I hate not been able to upgrade parts when I want. I have one now and do actually know how to pull it apart and replace parts (if they fit). But I would rather just save up and buy a pc.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 9:06 am

GiantSpiderGoat wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:
Bobabounty wrote:

Also at first I thought he was buying a pc and 3.3 ghz is becoming the new standard. Everywhere I look it's between 3.1 ghz to 3.3. There are higher, but they are expensive. Also boba doesn't know crap. I would get another laptop, but I hate not been able to upgrade parts when I want. I have one now and do actually know how to pull it apart and replace parts (if they fit). But I would rather just save up and buy a pc.

So you admit not reading my OP? Cause I can clearly remember mentioning the word 'laptop' several times in my previous posts...

@Spanky: I don't like Cheerios...

Last edited by BananaDealer on Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Spankster
OT Crime Lord
Spankster

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:10 pm

BananaDealer wrote:
several times my my previous posts...

Well...I can see why. uh huh
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:39 pm

Spankmaster General wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:

What are you implying? you
Back to top Go down
Spankster
OT Crime Lord
Spankster

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm

BananaDealer wrote:
Spankmaster General wrote:
BananaDealer wrote:

What are you implying? you

troll So I'm getting a new rig... CerealSpitting
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:39 pm

So you want to run other games at high? Buy a better laptop.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 4:55 pm

Bobabounty wrote:

So I'm getting a new rig... 2238782717

Are you sure you know your way around a laptop? I mean, granted- the video card isn't the most powerful possible, but that has never been my intention... It will (looking at benchmarks around the net) run most newer games on at least the medium setting... And you don't really get any better than an i7 processor... Seeing how most brands are fitting their newest models with powerful processors but just shoving them off with only an Intel Graphics chipset...

I'm starting to think GSG is right... You don't know crap...
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 7:24 pm

BananaDealer wrote:
Bobabounty wrote:

So I'm getting a new rig... 2238782717

Are you sure you know your way around a laptop? I mean, granted- the video card isn't the most powerful possible, but that has never been my intention... It will (looking at benchmarks around the net) run most newer games on at least the medium setting... And you don't really get any better than an i7 processor... Seeing how most brands are fitting their newest models with powerful processors but just shoving them off with only an Intel Graphics chipset...

I'm starting to think GSG is right... You don't know crap...

If it's an i7 2500k or 2600k, then you're correct, you have to best processor on the market, save for the AMD Bulldozer. But hey, it's not my money, so why should I help an ingrate?
Back to top Go down
Burkman
Perfect Stranger
Burkman

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 7:26 pm

Sorry, I'm buying it for the 360.
Back to top Go down
Causa
Toneless Paragon
Toneless Paragon
Causa

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... EmptyThu Nov 10, 2011 7:30 pm

Charlie Burkman wrote:
Sorry, I'm buying it for the 360.

This, I dun have my new Computer yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So I'm getting a new rig...   So I'm getting a new rig... Empty

Back to top Go down

So I'm getting a new rig...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
OT Legacy :: The Off Topic :: Off Topic-
Jump to: