OT Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a hero

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

Forum Game (Setting Up)

Go down 
+9
The Mortonator
Meatlocker
Grimeth
Ban-Anad
Scott
Burkman
Ulyaoth
Boba
Branch
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
The Mortonator
Golden Kanohi
Golden Kanohi
The Mortonator

Location : Space, the final frontier right before what's beyond that.

Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:19 pm

Why would Britain have the Superior Navy trait? The U.S. has possessed the greatest in Naval and Air superiority since the end of WWII. Technically, our Army isn't a very intimidating threat. Granted, the USMC is, but I can't really see that being the majority of Infantry Units. The U.S. should really be better balanced for mass production of Air and Naval forces with a bonus to them.

Speaking of which, Israel's military superiority is almost entirely on the front of Infantry. The Israeli Navy is pretty much stuck with the Mediterranean Sea and other small bodies of water and thus they don't have a massive focus on them. The Israeli Air Force gets the majority of their Air Units from the U.S. In fact, I live not far from one of the production facilities they come from.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 3:55 pm

The Mortonator wrote:
Why would Britain have the Superior Navy trait? The U.S. has possessed the greatest in Naval and Air superiority since the end of WWII. Technically, our Army isn't a very intimidating threat. Granted, the USMC is, but I can't really see that being the majority of Infantry Units. The U.S. should really be better balanced for mass production of Air and Naval forces with a bonus to them.

Speaking of which, Israel's military superiority is almost entirely on the front of Infantry. The Israeli Navy is pretty much stuck with the Mediterranean Sea and other small bodies of water and thus they don't have a massive focus on them. The Israeli Air Force gets the majority of their Air Units from the U.S. In fact, I live not far from one of the production facilities they come from.

Abilities have been made so that they augment and help with each nation's position on the map and it's own scenario.

For instance- Israel practically shares territory with Palestine. It doesn't have a Port and most of it's conflicts are intended to be on land. They also have in, real life, some of the best-trained infantry in the world, especially when it comes to close-quarters city warfare (I've got an Israeli schoolmate that was kinda forced to join said infantry, his dad was some military bigshot). This is due to said proximity. They conduct constant research into armored vehicle improvements and their airforce is quite formidable. Even if the planes are built overseas...

The UK on the other hand is an island nation. It would need a good Navy to stay in the game. The UK has a better Navy in the way of better discipline and maritime traditions. They specialize in vertical take-off jets (they sorta invented them). They're not stronger in terms of firepower or numbers, but they have always been better at sea.

The Royal Marines (the first version of Marines, British-made) started out as part of the regular infantry in WWI (yes, WWI). A Marine of that time was a sailor trained in ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore combat. It was all part of their Expeditionary Force thing. The US Marines came along during the Pacific conflicts in WWII, they too were initially regular infantry that was further trained for disembarkation combat and all the other particularities of island-hopping.

The USMC as you see it today is part of the Army, Navy and Airforce and that's why Armies gain additional strength. I could make the ability so that Navies benefit from the presence of "Carried" Infantry...
The US is intended to be able to churn military units at a moment's notice (the Second Amendment Ability). The fact that they are Infantry and disappear after the ability wears off is to balance it out...And they do have 3 high-GDP proxies (Canada is a 50 GDP territory and Mexico and Qatar are 30 GDP, meaning the USA gets a total of 55 GDP from them, cause they're Proxies)

Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:42 pm

The Joker wrote:
The Mortonator wrote:

The UK on the other hand is an island nation. It would need a good Navy to stay in the game. The UK has a better Navy in the way of better discipline and maritime traditions. They specialize in vertical take-off jets (they sorta invented them). They're not stronger in terms of firepower or numbers, but they have always been better at sea.

These is are grossly inaccurate statements...
Back to top Go down
https://swtorot.forumotion.com
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Scott wrote:
The Joker wrote:
The Mortonator wrote:

OK then... The UK has a good Navy. But the US Navy can't be considered better just because it's bigger... There's other factors involved...
Why is this such a problem? I've already explained why I've given the UK a Naval bonus... If I were to give the US a bonus for their entire military, that would not only be inaccurate (they don't have the best military. They have a decent military.) but also overpowered...
Back to top Go down
Burkman
Perfect Stranger
Burkman

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:00 pm

The Joker wrote:
Scott wrote:
The Joker wrote:
The Mortonator wrote:

OK then... The UK has a good Navy. But the US Navy can't be considered better just because it's bigger... There's other factors involved...
Why is this such a problem? I've already explained why I've given the UK a Naval bonus... If I were to give the US a bonus for their entire military, that would not only be inaccurate (they don't have the best military. They have a decent military.) but also overpowered...

Being bigger has a major role in why we're considered better. When it comes down to it, you're just insulting our Navy, you son of a bitch. Sure, your Navy's special operations are great, but we're not amateurs by any means.
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:07 pm

This isn't the 19th century. The UK is not naval power, France has a bigger navy than they do.
Back to top Go down
The Mortonator
Golden Kanohi
Golden Kanohi
The Mortonator

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:07 pm

The Joker wrote:
Scott wrote:
The Joker wrote:

The point is that the U.S. while certainly not the best at Army it does in fact lead the world in Naval Superiority in the vast majority of factors involved. Basically, they shouldn't have a bonus to Infantry. They should have it in at least the Navy and maybe the Air Force as well. Personally, I would also change Israel to have only Infantry Superiority and remove the restriction of being more expensive.

Besides which, while Britain is an Island they are still positioned were they can land easily in the other territories without too much of a problem. The U.S. on the other hand is across the map from everyone else and they have several Islands in their possession. Maybe give Britain a bonus to invading by sea?
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Some of the satellites are silly.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Burkman wrote:
The Joker wrote:
Scott wrote:

Being bigger has a major role in why we're considered better. When it comes down to it, you're just insulting our Navy, you son of a bitch. Sure, your Navy's special operations are great, but we're not amateurs by any means.

Oh... Right... Forgot you were a Navy man... (Fun fact- My granddad was in our Navy, held the rank of Commander/Second in Command)
Look, I don't mean to insult... It's just not possible to transfer raw power into the mechanics of this... The US will be stating with quite a lot of Naval and Air Units (UK and US will be en par on that account), trust me... But what you choose to do then on is your... choice (damn).
And um... UK Navy is not 'my' Navy...

@ Mort: Keep 'em coming... I'm editing the Guide... And the US now has a Maritime bonus...
The US also has a Proxy in Qatar... Plus, they won't be 'that' far... It'll be just four turns across each ocean...
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:41 pm

I think Japan should take Brazil' spot, but if you really want Brazil in one of the bonuses should be about the Fatherland Volunteers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_II_of_Brazil_in_the_Paraguayan_War
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:47 pm

CollaWars wrote:
I think Japan should take Brazil' spot, but if you really want Brazil in one of the bonuses should be about the Fatherland Volunteers.

Hmmm...

AHA!

We added Brazil to compensate for the abundance of playable nations in Europe & Asia and the lack of such on the other side of the Atlantic/Pacific...
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:14 pm

The Joker wrote:
CollaWars wrote:

Hmmm...

AHA!

We added Brazil to compensate for the abundance of playable nations in Europe & Asia and the lack of such on the other side of the Atlantic/Pacific...

North Korea's proxies are silly. Not sure if like...
Back to top Go down
The Mortonator
Golden Kanohi
Golden Kanohi
The Mortonator

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:19 pm

The Joker wrote:
@ Mort: Keep 'em coming... I'm editing the Guide... And the US now has a Maritime bonus...
The US also has a Proxy in Qatar... Plus, they won't be 'that' far... It'll be just four turns across each ocean...

I've got nothing left to keep coming. If I did I probably would have said it already. OMG!
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:31 pm

CollaWars wrote:
The Joker wrote:
CollaWars wrote:

Hmmm...

AHA!

North Korea's proxies are silly. Not sure if like...

Singapore for the Port.
Cambodia to give it another outlet to the mainland.
Sudan cause they do arms deals.
Back to top Go down
Callin
I have a title
Callin

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:54 pm

The Joker wrote:
The Mortonator wrote:

Abilities have been made so that they augment and help with each nation's position on the map and it's own scenario.

For instance- Israel practically shares territory with Palestine. It doesn't have a Port and most of it's conflicts are intended to be on land. They also have in, real life, some of the best-trained infantry in the world, especially when it comes to close-quarters city warfare (I've got an Israeli schoolmate that was kinda forced to join said infantry, his dad was some military bigshot). This is due to said proximity. They conduct constant research into armored vehicle improvements and their airforce is quite formidable. Even if the planes are built overseas...

The Royal Marines (the first version of Marines, British-made) started out as part of the regular infantry in WWI (yes, WWI). A Marine of that time was a sailor trained in ship-to-ship and ship-to-shore combat. It was all part of their Expeditionary Force thing. The US Marines came along during the Pacific conflicts in WWII, they too were initially regular infantry that was further trained for disembarkation combat and all the other particularities of island-hopping.

The USMC as you see it today is part of the Army, Navy and Airforce and that's why Armies gain additional strength. I could make the ability so that Navies benefit from the presence of "Carried" Infantry...
The US is intended to be able to churn military units at a moment's notice (the Second Amendment Ability). The fact that they are Infantry and disappear after the ability wears off is to balance it out...And they do have 3 high-GDP proxies (Canada is a 50 GDP territory and Mexico and Qatar are 30 GDP, meaning the USA gets a total of 55 GDP from them, cause they're Proxies)

You do understand that you dont know squat about the USMC. Evident from your list of wrong facts about them.
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 6:57 pm

Please guys. Instead of just insulting Banana's game ideas, give some ways he can edit them to both be accurate, and to not make one power overpowered.
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:00 pm

Branch wrote:
Please guys. Instead of just insulting Banana's game ideas, give some ways he can edit them to both be accurate, and to not make one power overpowered.

That's exactly why we're giving the UK sea power; so they can be balanced with the others. And historically, the only reason why they became such a superpower is because of their navy.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:06 pm

Bobabounty wrote:
Branch wrote:

That's exactly why we're giving the UK sea power; so they can be balanced with the others. And historically, the only reason why they became such a superpower is because of their navy.

As I said... Suggestions are more than welcome... I can't be expected to be able to come up with everything.

@ Callin: Teach me, oh great, all-knowing master of everything! I care oh so much!

lolololol
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Bobabounty wrote:
Branch wrote:

Thats what Im saying. If people have a "real world" problem with the simple game rule, then give a replacement for it instead of meaninglessly damming it.
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:34 pm

The qualifications of an insult must be really low now a day.
Back to top Go down
Ban-Anad
BananaGod
Ban-Anad

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:39 pm

CollaWars wrote:
The qualifications of an insult must be really low now a day.

Burp.

I\'m not crazy

I\'m not crazy
Back to top Go down
Callin
I have a title
Callin

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 7:46 pm

The ideas are good and sound for a game. But if your goin to start discussing real life then get your facts straight. Thats all im saying. I try to not talk about stuff i know nothing about. If i have to, then i research it.

That is all.
Back to top Go down
Yeet
WolfPack
WolfPack
Yeet

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Wilbourn requires a short summary of the game.
Back to top Go down
Scott
Warlord
Scott

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:52 pm

The Joker wrote:
Scott wrote:
The Joker wrote:
The Mortonator wrote:

I was going to make a long rant... but several hours after forgetting that I left this page open has made me realize how much a waste of time that would be. Especially considering it's only a game in the first place... xD
Back to top Go down
https://swtorot.forumotion.com
Yeet
WolfPack
WolfPack
Yeet

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:56 pm

Scott wrote:

I was going to make a long rant... but several hours after forgetting that I left this page open has made me realize how much a waste of time that would be. Especially considering it's only a game in the first place... xD

You ain't stickin' up for 'Murica?

Commie sumbitch!

Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 Amurica

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forum Game (Setting Up)   Forum Game (Setting Up) - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Forum Game (Setting Up)
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next