OT Legacy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I need a hero

PortalHomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog inChat
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The inactivity of this forum.
Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 02, 2015 11:06 pm by Burkman
It's depressing to see how inactive it has been recently. I mean, everybody is pretty much primarily posting in the never ending thread now and there's not enough people here to make this place really booming. We need to find some way to bring more people here before this place just fades into nothingness...

I know for a fact that a lot of boards out there are thriving because of how many people are there. We just need to get back into the game and pull people here. However, where we obtain these people might matter, because we don't to end up pulling in douches like those at Selkath.

I understand that people are busy these days, but it doesn't seem like they're rarely at their computer anymore. I know most of you are still dicking around with your computer. I don't know how we …

[ Full reading ]
Comments: 7
Happy New Year!
Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 02, 2013 2:56 pm by Scott
Happy New Year OT! We may be dying... BUT WE'RE STILL HERE! We had an... interesting year last year. Vice Admin Burkman is taking a long earned vacation and Uly is stepping into his position. Well... I'd have more to say but I've got other things to do atm... and oh yeah... to quote Callin... "GET A MIC YA BUM!"

~Scott

Comments: 5

Soup, Jet, and Branch.

Go down 
+13
The Mortonator
Astraeos
Scott
Grimeth
Boba
Daroska
CollaWars
Matieu
Branch
Yeet
Jet
SoupWithSauce
Causa
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Pick one.
Branch
Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Jet
Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap25%Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 25% [ 3 ]
Soup
Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 I_vote_lcap75%Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 I_vote_rcap
 75% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 12

AuthorMessage
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Matieu wrote:
I expected results like that, pretty much exactly how it looks right now...

@Branch: I like how all of your posts about how people preferred you over Jet were in the past tense...

Not to mention they aren't true....And please tell me that at least YOU voted for me....Right?
Back to top Go down
SoupWithSauce
WolfPack
WolfPack
SoupWithSauce

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Misfit of Madness wrote:
Matieu wrote:

@Branch: I like how all of your posts about how people preferred you over Jet were in the past tense...

Not to mention they aren't true....And please tell me that at least YOU voted for me....Right?

I didn't vote, to keep it fair.
Back to top Go down
Matieu
Slayer of Branch
Slayer of Branch
Matieu

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Misfit of Madness wrote:
Matieu wrote:

On this poll, or back on the Jawa poll?
Back to top Go down
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:40 pm

Matieu wrote:
Misfit of Madness wrote:
Matieu wrote:

This one.

@ Soup, I as well did not vote.
Back to top Go down
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Seeing these results....

Back to top Go down
SoupWithSauce
WolfPack
WolfPack
SoupWithSauce

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 pm

Misfit of Madness wrote:
Seeing these results....

I still love you. <3
Back to top Go down
CollaWars
Arcane Warrior
Arcane Warrior
CollaWars

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:45 pm

I don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Matieu
Slayer of Branch
Slayer of Branch
Matieu

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Misfit of Madness wrote:
Matieu wrote:
Misfit of Madness wrote:
Matieu wrote:

This one.

I'm the reason you have one vote...
Back to top Go down
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Matieu wrote:
Misfit of Madness wrote:
Matieu wrote:

This one.

I'm the reason you have one vote...

OMG!
Back to top Go down
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:50 pm

SoupWithSauce wrote:
Misfit of Madness wrote:
Seeing these results....

I still love you. <3

/Flashback moment

Last edited by Misfit of Madness on Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 5:54 pm

I voted.

@ Matieu, because I've been queer lately.
Back to top Go down
Daroska
God of Cookies
God of Cookies
Daroska

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:25 pm

I dislike Soup the least.
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Branch wrote:
I voted.

Branch is gay.
Back to top Go down
SoupWithSauce
WolfPack
WolfPack
SoupWithSauce

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:27 pm

Daroska wrote:

I love you
Back to top Go down
Daroska
God of Cookies
God of Cookies
Daroska

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:29 pm

SoupWithSauce wrote:
Daroska wrote:

I love you

You are lucky for you have a good little fanbase.
Not as big as mine, but still, a nice start up package.
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:30 pm

Bobabounty wrote:
Branch wrote:
I voted.

Branch is gay.

Just keep using 3 worded insults. That way you won't hurt your brain.
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:32 pm

Branch wrote:
Bobabounty wrote:
Branch wrote:
I voted.

Branch is gay.

Just keep using 3 worded insults. That way you won't hurt your brain.

Branch is a faggy faggy faggy faggy faggy faggy faggy faggy faggy very tremendously faggy faggot.

If you've not seen Sucker Punch, stop reading this right now. Watch the movie, and then come back.

I watched Sucker Punch with Swood last night. The movie itself was very good. It was shot well, very imaginative, interesting, and hard. There weren't a lot of lines in it. The main character talked only a couple times. The same could be said of Wall-E, and I only know one person who didn't like that movie.

I've heard that they had to cut a bunch of the movie in order to keep it PG-13. It looks like they'll release a director's cut but according to this article, it won't quite have the scenes I'm hoping they'll have. It didn't need more action; it needed more gut wrenching or perhaps more explanation. I should clarify; Sucker Punch was plenty gut wrenching, but if there are 18 minutes more, I expect that some of that should also be gut wrenching.

I know the point was to let your imagination do the work to convert the actions in the brothel to actions in the asylum, so maybe more explanation would ruin it. But maybe it wouldn't. I want to know how the other two girls (Amber and Blondie) died. I can't imagine the orderly would shoot them. Also, how did Blue "own" Dr. Gorski (the dance instructor) in the asylum? The opposite was true when Sweat Pea escaped. In the asylum, Baby Doll had to distract the guards. In the brothel, she was distracting patrons. Why would they keep her from escaping? I would expect in order to live with themselves, they would have to convince themselves that these women chose this lifestyle and were free to leave. Why would they stop her?

I'll definitely see the movie again, but probably not until it comes out on Blu-Ray. I want to figure out who told the story, who the narrator was. At the beginning, I assumed it was either a grown up Baby Doll, or just an arbitrary narrator. At the end, I started to think it was Sweat Pea, since she's the only one who saw the Wise Man/bus driver or the soldier boy who ended up in the bus line in front of her. It wouldn't explain how she knew anything about Blue being arrested, but the narrator in 300 didn't know anything about the story after he was sent back either. Sometimes you can't over think things, and this is one of those.

On a last note, I'm surprised that they showed Baby Doll's face at the end. Swood said she gave a meaningful blink, perhaps implying that she was more herself than she should have been, but I didn't notice that somehow. Also, that implication would take away from the movie being a tragedy a little, like the opposite of Magneto still having a little of his powers left at the end of X3.

Only three times in my life have I felt the urge to kill someone. In none of these cases did I know the person, nor was I near them. The first time was watching Call+Response with a couple women from the church I was attending. The second was hearing stories before my trip to Costa Rica last year, about children who had been sexually abused by their fathers or foster fathers or uncles or anyone, really. The third was last night.

The first scene brought forth such a visceral reaction in me, I needed to see the stepfather dead. I began to hope this movie would go V for Vendetta style and somehow, she would kill everyone who deserved it. I began to add people to the list, though in the end, it turned out to only be three: the stepfather, Blue, and the cook. Dr. Gorski was added and then removed. Of course, that's not what happened.

In Knights of the Old Republic you have a good/evil, light side/dark side (being a Star Wars game) meter. Various actions throughout the game make you a better or more evil character, and your decisions somewhat affect the rest of the storyline. This implicitly gives you a goal of doing the right thing every time or the wrong thing to push your character in one direction or another, and based on that meter, the storyline changes and you either take over the galaxy or save it. Taking a middle of the road approach has no benefits. This goal to be fully light side or fully dark side made decisions easy. If someone deserves death but there's an option to let them live and be arrested, you've got your light side choice. If someone stands in your way, but you are strong enough in the force to Jedi mind trick them into jumping off a cliff, you've got your dark side choice. (Admittedly, I choose that one every time, even though I go light side. It's way too hilarious, and they had just beaten up a homeless person.)

Mass Effect is similar, except in both cases you're trying to save the galaxy. Things just change based on your approach. Either you're a peacemaker, a Paragon and only kill when necessary and after every peaceful solution has been exhausted, or you're a Renegade who threatens and sometimes tortures people to get results. Some actions require a certain amount of Paragon points or a certain amount of Renegade points. What's interesting in Mass Effect is that they're not mutually exclusive. If the game were long enough, and therefore you had enough opportunities to gain enough morality points, you could be full Paragon and full Renegade, giving you the power to do anything to achieve your goals. In Knights of the Old Republic, dark side points are negative light side points.

In Dragon Age, there is no meter. You have literally hundreds of decisions to make, you make them, and they affect the storyline, not your character. You can spare someone's life, and they might go kill someone important. You might spare someone's life, and they might turn their life around and help you later on. Your character is no more evil or good than the person behind the keyboard. Your companions care about your decisions and will either become your friends or your rivals, but those characters are also neither completely good nor completely evil, and so are also bad indications of whether you made good choices.

What is a good choice in that game? You can make choices based on your own sense of justice, or if you've played through already (or have a walkthrough), you can make choices based on what you know will happen. You can make choices on what you know will make your party members like or dislike you. Your choices are just your choices.

I know that I immerse myself in games like this a whole lot more than other people. I cannot make myself play Knights of the old Republic as a dark side character. I actually feel guilty any time I see that red icon indicating a gain of dark side points, even when I try to do what is right. In Dragon Age, you have to live with the ambiguity of not knowing whether you made the "right" choice, and then with the consequences of your actions.

Life has no meter. You can choose to make the best actions in your eyes, actions that preserve, or you can make destructive, and often fun, choices. You can make choices to expand your horizons, choices that don't preserve the status quo, and also don't break your moral code, or you can choose to sit back and do what you've always done for fear of looking the fool.

Denna and I took a trip to the Grand Canyon last December. The website said that we had to have a wide-rimmed hat for the mule rides to keep the sun out of our eyes. It snowed, however, and there was no sun. Our snow jackets were sufficient, but Denna and I donned our cowboy hats nonetheless. We looked like total fools, dorky tourist parents, but I smile every time I look at that hat in my rear view mirror.

I don't dance. Sometimes I wish I danced, because people always try to get me to, but I have such a fear of looking like a complete idiot that I don't. I know that if I did, and I likely would, I would develop a terrible tic.

I often lean toward not dancing than toward wearing ridiculous cowboy hats. Preservation isn't always good.

Life has no meter. Sometimes you know you've made an evil decision, and you feel guilty. Often your decisions are just ambiguous. More often than I'd care to admit, I make a decision that should be ambiguous, and feel righteous about it.

Last night I prayed on the way back from Swood's. God, how can you abide the stepfather? He does not deserve the air he breathes. I wanted him to die. At first I was upset with myself for wanting revenge, but then I realized he hadn't actually done anything yet. He obviously had the intent, but vengeance would be getting back at him. So what is that feeling? Righteous fury? Were I in that scene, and had I pulled the trigger, would I have gained light side points or dark side points? She did have a third option. She could have fired a warning shot at the ground, then told him at gun point to walk with her to the phone, then dialed 911. He would have been arrested, her sister would have lived. He probably would have gotten off, as intent is not enough to convict someone, and restraining orders are only paper walls. Would I have pulled the trigger? If my sister were in danger.... I'm sure I could easily plea self defense, but what about the meter?

There's a freedom in having no meter. You don't have instant feedback about guilt. Life is certainly harder without one, but also a lot better. "Perfect victory."

God, how can you abide the stepfather? He does not deserve the air he breathes. Let's be clear. God hates death. He hates rape. He hates evil. But did I not kill Jesus? For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Did I not do to him what slavers do? A man does not simply become a slaver. He's twisted by need into a monster. In the end, he might not even see himself as a monster. And yet God loves me.

Justice begs mercy. At the INN several years ago, they were doing a sermon series that tackled seemingly contradictory virtues. At the end of each sermon, they nailed a piece of paper to the door, Martin Luther style. (wikipedia says that nailing probably never actually happened.) "Justice begs mercy" is the only thing I remember from that series, but it has stuck with me. Castrating a rapist, while poetically just, isn't actual justice. An eye for an eye doesn't help the person who went blind first. We long to make things right, but a loss of purity cannot be regained without God. God makes things new. We attempt to balance the loss by inflicting the same loss on the perpetrator. The only way to have justice is to admit that we can't achieve it, and what's left is resentment or mercy. Those are our options. Resentment only hurts the resenter. Mercy is not the same as pretending it never happened. It's not the same as reconciliation. If someone raped my sister, or killed my mom, or crippled my friend, or me for that matter, perhaps he belongs behind bars to prevent him from further damage, but when he got out of prison, has he really "paid his debt to society"? Will I feel like things are ok between us now? Of course not. I might have mercy on him in order to move on in my life, but without a miracle, I would never be reconciled to him. I would not become friends with him. God does not always call us to reconciliation. He does call us to mercy and forgiveness.

Life without the meter is better than life with it. We would be slaves to the meter. It would be easier, perhaps, to do what is right, but far harder to do what is Right. In Knights of the Old Republic, you are pulled along by your decisions. In Dragon Age, you are forced into the freedom to make your own decisions, your own path. In life, we have a God that knows that's how it is. That's how he designed it. Best of all he loves you and wants you to make the decisions that are best for you and best for everyone else. Those decisions are his path for you, crafted not for mass distribution via Steam, but for you individually. He wants to help you make those decisions, and knows full well we probably won't.

But there is perfect victory. In the end, the earth will be perfected, made new. In the end, we will be perfected, made new. As in Sucker Punch, perfect victory requires deep sacrifice. That sacrifice is God's own son. Baby Doll made that sacrifice and Sweat Pea survived and lived on her behalf. It was a good ending, debatably, but it was not perfect. In life, Jesus made that sacrifice and we survived. Jesus rose again. He defeated death. He gave a meaningful blink. This was no tragedy.
top | 0 Comments
Celebration Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Much good has happened since that last whiny post. God stepped up, not that I believe he hadn't been stepping up the whole time, but something happened this time. It's probably a combination of my own faith and/or mood, God's timing, and the faith of several others. I feel much better about life and my relationship with God.

That was about two or three weeks ago. Now it is now, and now is Fat Tuesday. I'd not heard of Fat Tuesday until a couple years ago, possibly right after I dated Denna. I also hadn't been aware of Lent or Ash Wednesday until my first year of college. For some reason the churches I grew up in didn't observe it. And not until today did I put it together that Fat Tuesday was a pre-Lent celebration.

I'm sure a lot of Christians now see the celebration as a "gotta get all my sinning out today before we go a'fasting tomorrow." Maybe that's how it is, especially down in Louisiana. I wouldn't know.

I wonder how it started. Sure, there's wikipedia, but I'm at Arby's right now without internet connection. Sure, there's my cell phone, but my battery is almost dead. Any other bright ideas? Punks, ugh.

My point is, what if it really was a pre-Lent celebration? What if that's all it was? What if it wasn't meant to be lewd? Drinking's no sin in moderation. If I've gathered correctly, the original Lenters fasted from food for the 40 days leading to Easter, like Jesus did in the desert. Before such an undertaking, you'd want to eat up, and honestly, you'd probably want to beer up, to take some of the sting of fear of the ordeal out of you, if only for a day.

I lied, that's not really my point. My point is, the church doesn't celebrate anymore. In Leviticus and Deuteronomy, God set up like seven celebrations throughout the year. They were in observance of him and his provision (God has a bit of an ego), but they were celebrations nonetheless. The church, as I see it now, has three celebrations: Christmas, Easter, and the Super Bowl. Christmas and Easter have a ton of tradition and pomp and circumstance. If you don't do them right, you're in sin. There's no freedom, which is especially ironic for Easter. Christmas has traditions that are frowned upon by the church. They "distract from the true meaning" of Christmas.

Church will be there for you in many ways. To mourn with you in sad times. To support you in lean times. To pray for you in hard times. When do they party with you?

I just feel like celebration is a very important part of life, especially the Christian life, and I know how to do it.
Back to top Go down
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:35 pm

Daroska wrote:
SoupWithSauce wrote:
Daroska wrote:

I love you

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Soup stole my fanbase. You will pay dearly for that, Soup.
Back to top Go down
Grimeth
Sad Panda
Grimeth

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 pm

That's some nice copy pasta you've got there.
Back to top Go down
Boba
Talz
Boba

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Misfit of Madness wrote:
Daroska wrote:
SoupWithSauce wrote:

I love you

Stop playing Viva la Vida, God damn it!
Back to top Go down
SoupWithSauce
WolfPack
WolfPack
SoupWithSauce

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:37 pm

Daroska wrote:
SoupWithSauce wrote:
Daroska wrote:

I love you

I'm honored you chose me, Master Daroska.

Movie?
Back to top Go down
Daroska
God of Cookies
God of Cookies
Daroska

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:39 pm

SoupWithSauce wrote:
Daroska wrote:
SoupWithSauce wrote:

I love you

Movie?

I thought you were busy gathering those skittles off the floor?
Back to top Go down
SoupWithSauce
WolfPack
WolfPack
SoupWithSauce

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Daroska wrote:
SoupWithSauce wrote:
Daroska wrote:

Movie?

I thought you were busy gathering those skittles off the floor?

I just sucked them up with my mouth.

But I figured you might be hungry, so I picked up my cage, and ran to the store with it, and bought you some skittles!

With that being said, movie?
Back to top Go down
Branch
The Fabulous
Branch

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:41 pm

Who the fuck is voting for Jet?
Back to top Go down
Jet
Bell Sucker
Bell Sucker
Jet

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Bobabounty wrote:
Misfit of Madness wrote:
Daroska wrote:

Stop playing Viva la Vida, God damn it!

I used to own that 13 year old title, bro.....Soup will fucking pay. That's like if someone stole your Talz title......You just don't do that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soup, Jet, and Branch.   Soup, Jet, and Branch. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Soup, Jet, and Branch.
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next